Sunday, June 3, 2007

Check in at Alcatraz

Before I go any farther - Thank you to everyone who sent me get well wishes. I appreciate it so very much! You are all so great!!
I wanted to post this last night but truth be told, I was soooo tired. It's 4 am here in San Fran and Bigun is already headed to transition. It opens at 4:15 and the buses to the ferry also start running at that time. He got his 3:30 wake up call, got dressed, grabbed his gear and was gone. Neither of us slept really. I am sure you all know how it is. I thought I would try to catch a few more Z's and get up at 6. Well, I'm wide awake with no hope of more sleep. His wave jumps from the boat at 7:05. It will take me about 30 minutes to walk down to the race area. I won't actually get to see him jump but hopefully I won't miss him coming out of the water. Brrrrrrr. Right now, the water is warmer than the air. Water 57 degrees - air 51. Holy Iceberg Batman! Really, the temps wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the wind.
There isn't a lot to tell about yesterday, Bigun picked up his packet/schwag (I'll let him expound on this) then got in line for his chip. The line looked pretty long but it was moving quickly.
The Expo was pretty good sized. Did I tell you it was FREAKIN" COLD?!?!? Oh yeah, it was. Everyone was looking for shelter against the wind. It felt more like Chicago in the early throes of Winter rather than San Francisco on the verge of Summer. WTH?

The athlete's meeting was at 4 o'clock - we were done pretty much at 2 o'clock. So, we pulled up a couple of chairs and camped out next to a tent on the opposite side of the wind. At about 3 o'clock this girl walks by sporting a Starbucks cup in each hand. That dirty rotten wench. Starbucks was atleast 3/4 of a mile away. Okay, okay I know, that isn't far. Normally. I'm playing the sick card now. Yes, I was up and moving but I found myself winded just trying to get up a measly little hill. Talk about embarrassing. It was. You would have thought I was 95 years old with emphysema. Argh. My point here is, thanks to the lovely, and helpful with directions, young girl bearing Starbucks, I had to get up and walk. Again. I know, I am really sounding like a big fat crybaby. So? I've been in bed for 3 days solid and really truly, I was just plain out of energy. Plum tired. Despite my mental whining ( I didn't let Bigun hear me whine and I didn't start crying) we walked to Starbucks. A little warm brew being my main motivator. Chai Tea Latte. Yumma yumma. Okay, so it was worth the Loooooooong walk. It did give me a little more energy and I actually felt better for it.

There were a couple of Star sightings yesterday. Sarah Reinertson was walking around. I saw her walking in but didn't want to seem like some star struck paparazzi so, like a chicken, I waited til her back was turned. I'm an idiot. This is her...walking away! I hope to see her coming out of the water today

Once the meeting started a guy came up on stage to explain how to make the swim. He gave the athletes sight guides and explained about how the currents would push them in a certain direction. Basically his advice boiled down to. Don't try to swim in a straight line for the beach. It won't work. He should know- he's made this swim 498 times. He's planning for#500 on the 50th anniversary of the famous escape. That's in June. I guess he'll have to get in one more swim before then. Insanity.

Next - two fellows in charge brought up a large course map and walked the athletes through what to expect out on the course. Cool. The wind was blowing so hard one guy had to hold the map while the other narrated. Swear.
I have never seen a place clear out so fast in my life. Once the athletes had all of the info they wanted swish - ghost town. I am here to tell you - it was cold and noone was pretending otherwise. Bigun and I headed back to our side of the water and I used the opportunity to snap a few shots of things along the way. Here are more Star Sightings....




This is Opus





I can't remember the name of this place....











The famous Golden Gate is in there somewhere in the fog. BTW ...Why is it, the Golden Gate has a RED bridge?



















We decided to stop at a restaurant for dinner on the way in. By now, it was 6 pm. The sun came out. Huh, so that's what it looks like.....no, I didn't get a picture of it. I really need some more of those cordials. Since I don't have any I guess I better get ready to head out. It's 5:40 am on Sunday. Stay Tuned....

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great shots, Di!! (Feel better.)

Anonymous said...

Hope you managed to have some fun. - The opening of the Bay is the GOLDEN GATE. Hence the red bridge is the Golden Gate bridge. My nosiness & reseach are okay sometimes. I queried Wikipedia.
Call & let us know how Marc did.
wish you both well.
Dale.

bigmike600 said...

The only real stars I see is you and the Bigun. Hope all goes well and you get better.

Anonymous said...

He is doing REALLY well - ahead of estimated time for the swim. I'll chase aj off the Pc & check again in 15. dale

Anonymous said...

He did well on estimating his times. 3:45 to complete- wish I had been watching the live cam.
Dale.

Green Eyed Lady (aka GEL) said...

There was a live cam??? Holy cow, I didn't know that! Great article on Sarah and I would have taken her picture when she wasn't looking, too - that's funny!

Comm's said...

My two training partners are there, one is doing escape, one is sherpa.

I had them get a big block of dark choc for Mistress while there and extra sour sourdough bread for me.

They also said it wicked cold.

S. Baboo said...

Glad you are feeling better. Great pics, wish I were there.

Unknown said...

Awesome - you saw Sarah, how cool!
Mike and watched the finish today on the live webcam , that is so cool that they can do that - I wish they did that around here so Mike's mom could watch him!

Wrenched Photography said...

Lookin good!