Friday, August 21, 2009

A Change Will Do You Good?

The morning came earlier than I wanted it to. I still pulled myself up out of bed, donned my robe and made my way to the keyboard. Do not pass go, do not collect your morning coffee.

The girls and Brisco were still sleeping soundly in their bed. All three of them lying next to each other. It warms my heart. Almost the way I am sure a mother's heart is warmed when she peeks in on her sleeping children before the sun is fully up in the sky. The girls' ages are really showing. They used to wake me at 6 am ready to go outside and get their morning constitution done with. After their potty break, they would roam the yard for whatever new and exciting scents the night creatures had left behind.

Now, in their old age they barely step out the door, hurry with their mission and turn right back around to come inside so they can return to their beds. They stirred around 9 this morning. Hurried through the patio to the grass then spun back around to find the warmth of the bed in the kitchen. Hunger hasn't even bothered to disturb their morning dreams. I love my girls. I will be crushed when it's time to say goodbye to them. We always say we don't have it in us, but we do. As heartbreaking as it is. As much as we wish it would never happen, we survive it. It took me months to recover from losing Jake. I still miss her. Sometimes I still think I can feel her curl up with me at night. She's been gone three years now.

I realise life is about change. Most often, I find change exhilarating (I hear Cheryl Crow belting out "A change will do you good..."). Other times, when I think of the ending that comes with it, I want to weep.

4 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I read and enjoyed your previous post but thought perhaps that after that one, you might once again disappear.

I am glad that you are back.

Di said...

Thank you for that Al. I really have missed it here. I am so happy that you have stopped by to say hello *hugs*

Unknown said...

George's last year was like that. He rarely got me up, when he used to get up with the sun. I would get up incredibly sad, knowing what was on the horizon. I always knew I would do what was right for him, not what was easiest for me, but I was shattered to lose him. Then to have to make the same choice for Houdini 6 months later -- boy that was one tough year. Like you, I miss them every day.

I feel for you, Di.

Di said...

I miss you Wendy.