Thursday, January 25, 2007

Marital Impasse....maybe

Hello Friends, Comrades and Fellow Bloggers,

This post is entirely unrelated to Bigun's Triathlons. Sort of. Being the clever and ever thinking woman that I am there is no doubt I can find a way to tie it in to Tris.
Those of you who know us personally know that we do not have any "Children" in the normal sense of the word. Bigun would say we do not have any children in ANY sense of the word. We all know he is wrong. I just lost my cat Jake in August. Merely talking about it still makes me cry. She had been with me since right after I graduated High School. That made her 23 years old. She was the most loving cat you could know. Unusual too. Well, our cocker spaniel Chournie(we Americanized the Russian word for black) just turned 12. She has been deaf now for almost a year. I am starting to have that sick panicked feeling in my chest that it won't be long before we'll have to pick up her ashes from the vet too. I can barely stand it. Our chihuahua, 'Biner, (named after the trusty climbing device, Carabiner) is 11. We also have a 3 year old cat named Briscoe(named after Bruce Campbell's character Briscoe County Junior- a Sam Raimi show). He's a charmer.

Now that I have properly introduced you to the family I can explain the reason behind the title of this blog. Due to the fact that Chournie is visibly aging now, I think we need a puppy. For many real and solid reasons. Bigun is pretending not to hear me when I try chatting about the next addition to our family. He is hearing "wah wah wah wah wah" each and every time I bring up the subject of our next adopted son. Now why in the world he would not want a son who he could run/train with is beyond me. (told you I could work it in) Why in the world he wouldn't want a son who could go to the triathlons and cheer him on is beyond me. (pretty good ah?)

Who wouldn't love a guy like this?







and who wouldn't love these guys? Old English Sheepdogs are the best family pets out there. They are fun loving, loyal, obedient, easy to train, protective, they don't shed and well, just too damned cute!!! Not to mention, I miss my OES Arthur. He died years ago. Before I knew Bigun. I actually lost custody of him when I split with my ex-fiance. What a great dog he was. -Arthur, not the ex.
So, you have heard my plight and hopefully you will agree with me. Adding a new son to the family is the right thing to do. For everyone involved. Bigun will have a training companion, Briscoe the cat, will have a playmate (he is of the knowledge and understanding that he is a dog himself). 'Biner will have someone to boss around, when she isn't cuddled up in his fur. Chournie will have someone to keep her younger longer and Mommy (me) will have a new baby to cuddle along with 'Biner at night. This is a win-win for everyone involved. How could anyone disagree? How can Bigun get past this temporary deafness he is experiencing and bring himself to see it my way.
Did anyone see that movie with John Cusack, Rachel Weiss, Dustin Hoffman and Gene Hackman? You know, the one "Runaway Jury". There was a scene in the movie where they show Gene Hackman's character riding in the back of the cab. Now, he has never met this cabbie but by the power of astute observation Gene H. begins to tell this cabbie the cabbie's own life story. The gist of the conversation ended this way "...Better to have an unhappy Mother than an unhappy Wife." Now, I am not saying this issue concerns anyone's mother. But, that "...happy Wife" part really sticks out in my memory.
What do you think? BTW if you don't agree with me, keep it to yourself okay? lol
Di

13 comments:

Tri-Dummy said...

Mrs. Bigun:
Bigun needs a dog to run with...definately; however, I think you should allow him to select the breed.

If he chooses a sheepdog, PLEASE forward me a photo of him running w/it for ridicule purposes. If he goes running w/the Chihuahua, send me a photo of that, too...same purpose.

Honestly, I would get him a Lab. Easy to get along with, manly, and naturally athletic animals.

Jay

PS. Don't tell Bigun...I have a Chihuahua...named Diego.

Anonymous said...

He just doesn't stand a chance - does he? Poor Bigun...

I'm sure we will go into this Saturday night!

Di said...

Jay, I know why letting Bigun pick the dog seems like the right thing to do to some people(other men) ;) It's more difficult than that though. You see, I will be the one spending all of the time with this new addition. Training it, disciplining it, feeding it,taking it to the vet, etc. I did think about a lab, but they shed something fierce.There personalities are awesome and they have all of the same qualities as an OES except the shedding thing... I need a non shedding dog.... I have also seriously considred a Portuguese Water Dog. A friend of ours has had 2 and both are awesome.In addition, they don't shed and they are very athletic. Here is the misconception on OES, they too are very athletic. Full of energy. Afterall, they are a "herding" dog.
BTW Bigun chose the Cocker Spaniel. Chournie and 'Biner used to go rock climbing with us and went to work with us at the Gym everyday. She is a Daddy's girl...don't you just LOVE your little Diego? 'Biner is awesome.

As for Mr "Anonymous" . Yes, you are right on your obeservation. I hope...maybe we shouldn't talk about it Saturday, we want a pleasant dinner afterall. lol

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

You need a dog to keep you company while waiting for Bigun to finish his races. I would LOVE to get one but I'm gone too much and my four cats would eat it.

I suggest a Griffon. How could you resist that face? And, you could get a way cool fancy carrier for it while it's a puppy. By the way, there is an International Distance Triathlon near Lubbock named after the race directors dogs, the "Buffman and Squeaky"

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Sorry, the link is http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/1100055/

Di said...

Geek Girl, you totally get it!! Believe it or not I DID look at Griffons. I love them, love their personality etc.A Friend of mine in Georgia (our cocker's groomer) owned them. They were soooooooo cute!! I have had small dogs though for 12 years and I really miss having a big guy around the house. :(

Anonymous said...

Let us know when you get your puppy : )

Lani

Anonymous said...

You are insane!! You said you have 3 pets already, right? Sounds more like a win-lose to me. If Bigun doesn't want another pet, how is it win-win?

Di said...

So, you comment on someone's blog, call them insane and are too much of a coward to leave your name? Kind of like the cowards of the old west, no problem shooting someone in the back, they can't fight back that way. I can see what you consider a win...
:)

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

And, as everyone knows, when Mrs. is happy, it's always win-win. Doesn't matter who gets their way. When wife is happy, everyone wins. :-)

Di said...

LOL Geek Girl after my own heart!!!
di

S. Baboo said...

Big dogs are sooo cool but they tend to have shorter life spans, which makes it hard. I like the OES, I've always wanted an Irish Wolf Hound.

Anonymous said...

Poor Guy... I know you both and I know you both are strong willed. It will be interesting to see who wins. I am sure in the end I know who will though...