Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Sand Key Tri Sprint - Sunday September 23

After much consideration, I decided NOT to wear these to the Tri. I figured I didn't want any distractions for the athletes out in the water. A kayak just isn't suited for Dorothy Shoes.

















That doesn't mean I don't understand the importance of a good Jelly Donut before working a Tri...afterall, if Blink and Bigun know how important they are...















This is me and Green Eyed Lady (after the race). We volunteered for Kayak support together. It really was a good time. GEL helped out a guy on his first open water swim. He had a little anxiety attack in the water. She followed him on the whole swim til he got out of the water. He finished the race.










Here we are with the rest of the crew of kayak support... except for Diane - she's taking the picture.












Green Eyed lady out on the water. The sun still wasn't up so some of the shots are a little dark.

While still on shore, we had a lady come up to ask us some questions. Her first swim in the Gulf. She was afraid of sharks. Turns out, the only shark we saw that day was Bigun.






That's me, ignoring all of the athletes for a photo op moment. I know, blurry - I need to fire my







Sherpa......well, it was his first time, maybe I'll forgive him. ;)



That is ExcelMan swimming briskly in the water.


















That shoulder with the yellow jersey is ExcelMan again. The fellow on the board - lifeguard.











Sherpa got a pretty good shot here, but this is my blog. You would think he could have atleast gotten a good shot of me. If I weren't a "G" rated girl, I would have a choice name or two for my Sherpa Boy
















ExcelMan pushing hard on the bike

















Coming into transition




















This guy's feet never touch the ground!!!
















Okay, I know some people are vertically challenged. Quite a few of my friends are what we may call... well, short. So, I don't want to offend any one, but if this shot doesn't crack you up...
















maybe this one will.



















crossing the finish line- 2nd place in his group is ExcelMan

















Here is the studly muffin birthday boy displaying his hard earned prize (sunday was his birthday) woohoo!! Go Libras!!!


















This should explain why we call him ExcelMan.

yes, this was written on his forearm for the race. He copied it from an excel spread sheet he put together for his race. Swear.









Sherpa Boy - aka Bigun
It was a good day.







16 comments:

Bigun said...

great report baby...sorry the shots of you were not up to par...I didn't want to incriminate you, what with you hitting the swimmers with your paddles and what not...

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Di you got to take the chair away from Bigun. I think he was getting too comfy to get into his Sherpa duties.

Dances with Corgis said...

I am amazed that you were actually able to recognize someone on the swim!

Nice restraint not wearing the Dorothy shoes to the race... heehee. They truly are gorgeous btw! Sexy but classic.

Brent Buckner said...

Nice that you were out there looking after the peeps!

There are probably some photos with me and tall persons that look an awful lot like the ones you posted....

Spokane Al said...

Very nice story and the pictures were not bad either.

I never get over women and their shoes. While those are definitely a nice red, they sure don't look very comfortable. Give me my old running shoes or my Teva's anyday.

bigmike600 said...

I think those shots were pretty good. I love the writing on the arm. Awesome. That is great that you guys volunteered. Most races are only as good as the people working it so I am sure this one was FIRST CLASS.
Excel man looks fast. Especially next to that kid. I did not realize the kids race and the age groupers went together.

momo said...

did i say how much i love those shoes??

bigun's pics are pretty good - but where exactly is his cowbell??

Unknown said...

How tall is Excel Man exactly? (Because I'm even shorter than Brent ....)

And I sooooo heart those shoes!!!

Oly said...

Tall people got no reason... wait thats not how that song goes.

What are ya trying to say Di?

Oly said...

What is the sticker/patch on Excel's shirt?

Unknown said...

Sounds like yall had fun.

I had a donut this morning when I did a bike tour with my sister and thought of you guys.

Tri-Dummy said...

How dare Bigun accuse you of hurting racers! He is nothing but a Booger Eater.

I guarantee he didn't get any pics of you because he was taking pictures of guy's packages in tri shorts.

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! Thanks again for volunteering. Good call on the Dorothy shoes. I probably would have been blinded, swam into your kayak, knocked myself out and drowned.

I don't want anyone to feel bad for #307. He's 27 years old and he kicked my @ss. He's a great athlete. He might be vertically challenged but not VO2 max challenged.

The patch on my shirt is my pretty bride. It's a tribute to her for all of her support.

Tri-D - I'm rolling on the floor.

jahowie said...

Are you sure that Excelman isn't 8 or 9 feet tall?!?! LOL That poor guy is so short but excel man says that he kicks much ass so I guess height isn't everything. :-) Nice race report and it was very cool of you to volunteer.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I love those shoes. I think we need to wear them to CdA and get the lounge chairs that have built in foot rests. We can mix Cosmos and drink from little glasses that say "Go Ironman." Big starlet sunglasses, umbrella...
;-)

Green Eyed Lady (aka GEL) said...

What happened to the shapely lifeguards? And I'm not just talking about the girls! ;)