Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Well, Hello My Freud.

If we allow it to happen, our childhood can leave us looking like mangled train wrecks in a ditch. Ultimately, you get to decide how you want things to go, not your parents, not those who abused you, not your siblings, you. You get to choose which paths to follow through your life.







Sure, the crap that happens in childhood can scar us. Certainly, I can attest to this. It leaves us with memories that are often difficult to get past. However, the bigger problem isn't the memories you battle to keep at bay. The bigger issue is how you allow the memories to change you. You can allow them to create change for the positive or for the negative. You choose. No one will ever be able to make THAT choice for you.



So yes, Freud was definitely on to something, but I prefer to use Carl Rogers theory. Rogers believed that we all possess what we need to heal ourselves. So, next time something happens and you want to blame it on your past (or another person), step back, look in the mirror and ask your self, "Did I choose to use my power to help myself?"


Imagine what you could do with your life if you simply empowered yourself. Just imagine. The possibilities are endless!






2 comments:

Viv said...

In the last year I have done so much self-discovery and reflecting on my past. The clarity is intense and refreshing. Life makes so much more sense now and I can why I made the choices I made, but I am now also empowered to stop the cycle with my stompy boots on! Bring it on, world. I'm ready!

Di said...

Viv,
You nailed it, self discovery!! It is good to understand why you have done things you've done in the past. Now, to move forward, we have to understand why we will do the things we choose to do in the future. xoxo Love you girl!!