Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Smiley

Don't wait until next summer to go see someone if you can go now. Don't wait until after "your busy season" to travel to spend time with someone you love. Don't think that you have all of the time in the world. Don't believe that in spite of their ill health they'll be there when you can finally "swing it". Don't wait to go hold the hand of a person who holds a special place in your heart. It just might be too late if you wait any longer.
I know.
In a few days we'll be burying my Aunt Edna aka Smiley. I haven't seen her in years. I thought I had more time. I didn't see her before she died. I didn't remind her of just how much she truly meant to me. Don't make the same mistake I did.
Go now.
EDIT: I posted this at about 9 pm last night (Tuesday July 31st). I received a call from my family at about 3 pm yesterday telling me that my Aunt Edna would "be gone in moments". This according to her doctors. As far as I knew, I was trying to find a way to get to New York for my Aunt's funeral. This morning at about 10 am my sister called to tell me that the moments turned into hours and now the hours have turned into more than 24. I just spoke to my cousin who is at the hospital with her mom (my aunt). I could hear my aunt's voice in the background. She hasn't left us yet.
Unfortunately, we don't know how much time there is. Now, I don't know about you, but I think God has given me one more chance to tell her that I love her. I asked my cousin to tell her for me just in case I don't get there in time. I called my Uncle Tom, Aunt Edna's hubby, at home. He is there setting everything up for Hospice to come in and help with the final days. Yes, I said days. My Uncle Tom still has faith. He doesn't want her in the Hospital where they have given up on her. I can't say that I blame him. I don't know what the next few days will have in store for us but I do know that I need to go now. My original message stands true. Don't wait. Don't regret anything. You never know. My Aunt Edna is young. Too young to be dying. Remember, don't see if you can "swing it" just go, before it's too late.
Thank you all so much for all of your thoughts and prayers. Someone was listening. Thank you, all of you.
Diana

23 comments:

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Di, am very sorry for your loss.

And thank you for the reminder, I know I will at the very least making a few phone calls tomorrow.

Green Eyed Lady (aka GEL) said...

I learned the hard way, too. But I took solace in the fond memories that we both shared. So sorry...

Unknown said...

I'm so truly sorry for your loss. Makes me think of my dad and realizing that despite some of the sacrifices I may be making... it's worth it to be at home as much as I can fit in (even when he drives me crazy)

aimee said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Di. I totally agree with what you wrote and personally have a lot of guilt associated with some of the family members who have passed in recent years.

Oly said...

Your post resonates with me as I feel I'm soon to be dealing with a loss.

I hope it's not so.

Chin UP!

Oly said...

I'm thinking about you Di and your family.

Peace!

Unknown said...

Di, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I have no doubt, that your aunt knew how much you cared.

Tri-Dummy said...

I couldn't agree more. Life is precious, share it with as many people as you can.

Much love from the Ferreira's.

Unknown said...

Oh, so sorry to hear your news.

I guarantee she knew how much you cared. We've got lots of family all over the place and can't posibly see them all as much as we would like, but I am a firm believer that family love transcends the physical distance between us.

(((((hugs for Di)))))

Wrenched Photography said...

:(

Hugs

Bigun said...

Sorry babes...come get another hug.

bigmike600 said...

Sorry to hear the news. Hugs from the Wimmers.

Supalinds said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for the wonderful advice.

jahowie said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. This is very good advice. Thanks for posting this.

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

I'm so sorry.. i'm going to send my husband to your blog. He just got a call from his dad that they are doing a last minute trip back east for his g-ma's 80th b-day in a few weeks. He was trying to figure out if he could "swing" going....

Tea said...

I'm so sorry. What a simple post with such a huge message.

Kate said...

Di

Patrick and my prayers are with your family.

Kate

Dances with Corgis said...

So sorry for your loss.

We are going through sort of the same thing with my uncle right now, who is in a hospice. The level of care at the hospice is SO MUCH better than the oncology ward of the hospital.

You are correct, it does bring so much into perspective. (hug)

Duane said...

Prayers and hugs to you all.

S. Baboo said...

I'm thinking about you and your family.

Green Eyed Lady (aka GEL) said...

Bittersweet. There's nothing like a second chance...

Anonymous said...

We just returned from a long drive to Minnesota for my mother's 80th Birthday Party. My brother picked her up in a limo and drove her to this beautiful park where we had water balloon fights and squirt gun wars and rubber duckie races in the creek. We decorated the pavilion with crepe paper and balloons. My sisters had t-shirts made with the same 1940's bathing beauty photo of our mom that we used for the invitation. Our captions said, "who's your mama?". Mom's said, "I'm your mama!". It was awesome! It was a blast! Don't wait. It was a great way to get all of the older members of our family together to meet in joy before we meet in sorrow. Good call, Diana. Don't think about it, just do it.-Patty

momo said...

oh, di, i'm trying to catch up and realized i had missed this and i'm so very sorry.

you are so very right. life is so very short and we tend to put things off because we think those we love will be here forever, but as you know and as i know all too well, its not like that. life comes at us fast and we need to live our life with no regrets, do the things we love to do, tell those in our lives how important they are to us.

hugs to you, sweet friend.