Sunday, July 1, 2007

POWER TOOLS ROCK

Most of you know what I do for "A Living". I'm a Designer. Yes, I make mediocre or downright ugly homes beautiful for those who inhabit them. I do. The reason I do what I do for a living is because I am good at it. Love doing it. When I worked for a company (who shall remain unnamed) I made a very good living.

As all of you know, whenever you work for a large Company, there are always politics. I'm not very good at this. I believe in what is fair and what is right. When you work for a large company all too often those two things go out the window. As you watch "right" and "fair" flying out the window, sans wings, you also hear "It's just business". Well, I woke up one day and decided I wasn't willing to accept that explanation any longer. My belief is that if you aren't happy with the way things are, change it or leave. Don't hang around being miserable and don't bring everyone else down with a negative attitude. This applies to me as well as anyone else. So, I tendered my resignation, gulped huge nauseating breaths of air, calmed my shaking hands and walked through the door with resignation in hand. That was three and a half years ago.

Starting your own company is hard work. It's not what you know and what you wish to impart that is hard. It's making sure you know how to become your own umbrella. Making sure every little detail is covered and every financial decision is sound and right. It's hard. This year, I hope I will be able to manage taking home a paycheck.

Before I was so busy trying to eek out a living with my own company I enjoyed a very special sort of diversion...I love to "remake" or "recreate" furniture. An old piece of furniture that had seemed to lost it usefulness for whomever may have previously owned it. To effectively recreate a piece of furniture requires POWER TOOLS.
I. LOVE. POWERTOOLS.
Today, I opened an email update from HGTVProExtra. Oh how I love those people at HGTV. I think my heart fluttered in my chest when I opened this email today. I KNOW I had to stop and catch my breath... just look at this beautiful email.


Isn't that the most beautiful thing you have ever seen?!?!?!?!?!?
Be still my foolish heart.
I am most definitely entering THIS sweepstakes. My only dilemma would be, how can I choose one over the other? What would be right? What would be fair? Oh, just thinking about it makes my hands shake(or else it's those three cups of coffee I had this morning). I think I need to get back into "recreating" furniture pieces. I need to get back to the fun of it.

10 comments:

Bigun said...

you have a birthday coming up, don't you...could be time for another power tool...

Tri-Dummy said...

...I've never heard anyone call a toothpick a POWER TOOL before.

You deserve to win this sweepstakes, Di. I hope you do. :)

Unknown said...

Good luck, Di. New stuff is always good.
I could probalby use your decorating expertise. Most of my house is still plain textured plaster since I can't seem to commit to a paint color.... or take a break from tri-ing long enough to paint. I wouldn't want to rush into anything too quickly - we've only lived here 3 1/2 years..... :-)

Spokane Al said...

HGTV is one of our favorite networks in this house, although I am a bit less than adept at using power tools.

Good luck - I hope you win 'em all.

Tea said...

OMIGAWD, I laughed so hard when I read your post..what I wouldn't do for a new Dewalt cordless screwdriver. Mine is some ancient heavy thing.

(I'm also a sucker for edgers, trimmers, and riding lawn mowers).

Oly said...

Jeez... is Bigun a lucky guy or what?

bigmike600 said...

Maybe you can make Bigun a carbon fiber bike with the right tools :) Hope you win the sweepstakes.

Wrenched Photography said...

Umm, maybe I should disconnect that circuit breaker......

Comm's said...

As a business owner I understand your aversion to politics. I don't mind the politics as long as I can keep the drama away from me.

Green Eyed Lady (aka GEL) said...

Wow, and I thought my Barbara K tool kit was something (www.barbarak.com). It's a line designed for women but ain't nothing like the real thing, baby!