Monday, May 21, 2007

Tri's the New Social Event?

Let me begin by prefacing this post with this statement - I am not a Triathlete. I am married to an amazing man who is a Triathlete. I am a professional Tri Sherpa, Photo Journalist. I journal our travels and races with my camera lens. Please don't think I am trying to mislead anyone with this post. My opinions are the opinions of an apt observer of the Triathlete world.

Certainly becoming an Endurance Athlete is a monumental step in one's life. It takes dedication, drive, tenacity and hardcore ambition. There's a lot of work that goes into being an Endurance Athlete. A Tri Athlete. When you first start competing the competition is nothing more than a large group of strangers who you hope won't leave you too far in their wake. For most, the only real competitor that matters is you. You are there to push yourself and to pull yourself up to the next level. Whatever that level may be. Everyone's idea of what the next level is will be different from the next person. It doesn't make that pull any less significant.

Due to a new social ring that has formed in The Land of Blog the Tri's are becoming more and more of a way to bond with new found friends. In what is otherwise a very lonely sport, the actual events, the actual Triathlons, have become a social event. All of those hours used to train every day, every week, every month are satisfied not only by your accomplishment in the events but in the ability to sit across the table from someone who has and is walking your same path. Finding people who are of like minds and like spirits takes out some of the loneliness in an otherwise solitary sport. The mental and physical fortitude it requires to be a participant in the Tri world is incredible.

The Land of Blog has brought about this change. It has brought Triathletes (and Tri Sherpas)from different walks of life, different philosophies, different cities and towns together. We all meet here in TLB everyday to share our days, our lives. The pages are open to anyone willing to take the time to read. As a result, friendships are born and lives are changing. What was once a very closed community of athletes is finding it's doors opening wider each and every day.

Triathlons have morphed from a wave or a quick hello in Transition at a familiar face, into a big campfire, guitar playing, drink toasting event shared by friends. Amazing. In this world where we reminisce about how things used to be and long for days of yore, the information highway has brought us to a new place. A truly wonderful place. It has brought us to a new world of friends that would not have been possible in years past.

In reading many of the blogs I have noticed that the element or feeling of being alone in this sport has greatly diminished. There is a camaraderie here that makes it all seem more possible. There is a support system in place that offers a kind word or a strong will of encouragement when needed. Finding people who are generous of heart as well as spirit is a great thing. This amazing occurrence reaffirms my faith that life is exactly what we make of it. Bigun and I look forward to our next social event... uh sorry, I mean Tri. I love The Land of Blog. In addition, I can't wait to meet you! I'll be the red head with the big camera lens ringing the cowbell for you.

posters available at Sports Poster Warehouse

11 comments:

Oly said...

None of us would be racing without support from others.

I plan on writing a post in the future about why I started a blog.

It deals with all the issues that you have mentioned, and yourself as well. If thats OK?

Oh, btw, I like cow bells, red heads, and big....lenses.

Now that's a tri.

Green Eyed Lady (aka GEL) said...

Meeting and spending time today with Jetpack and your friends from Detroit was extremely enjoyable. And this was in addition to Luke, Perez, and Nora. How do you define family? One meaning is a group with something in common. We enjoy being part of your circle. Chad would agree! ;)

Di said...

GEL and Blink - glad to have you as part of our circle. Thanks for sharing your time with.

Di said...

us.

Wrenched Photography said...

Its definatly becoming more socialable. My club has a tailgate tent at every race.

My name is Di, and i'm a cowbell-holic...

Di said...

I love the tailgate tent idea! I wonder if I could find a "cabana" to set up....hummmm great idea!

Wrenched Photography said...

I would like to apologize to the Bigun clan for insterting crazy tailgate ideas into the head of the Head Sherpa

Di said...

Too Late!! Bought the Cabana today before the bike ride!!

Fe-lady said...

You said it all gal...I tried to explain this very thing to my husband. He used to tri, but can't run anymore, but is so supportive and occasionally participates in a relay. And even tho I know quite a few triathletes here in Tucson, it seems I never get to sit and chat and tell them my stories.
My bet is that you won't always be the cowbell ringer...that someday you are going to try a tri! I just bet....!
(Thanks for the teacher comments. I too remember certain teachers-they certainly opened my mind to certain things that my parents never could for whatever reason!)
Love your music choices...."A little bit crazy to survive..." Hell, yes!!!

Tony said...

I know, I absolutely love the social aspect of Triathlon. I have met so many great people along the way in my journey.

bigmike600 said...

In the words of Christopher Walken (in the SNL skit with the fake Blue Oyster Cult band)... I have a fever and the only prescription is more cow bell. Love your blog and this post really hits home. Hope to see you someday.