Thursday, December 28, 2006

Age Old Battle of the Bulge


No, I am not referring to the infamous battle of WWII. I am ofcourse referring to the daily battle that occurs during the Holiday Season. Shame on all of you "Bakers" out there for putting me and Bigun through this! (don't stop)


We fight the fight daily every other day of the year and for some reason during the Holidays we throw all caution to the wind. A very wise Chinese man (at an all you can eat buffet) once said to Bigun and me, "You must show discipline." What the hell?!?!? Discipline, schmiscipline. Okay, so he's right. Problem being here that if you show discipline during the holidays someone is going to get their feelings hurt. The minute you turn down someone's generous offer of Christmas Cookies, Turkey stuffing, pie...whatever the going treat of the day is... you have just insinuated (in their mind) that you do not like their food. Poppycock. It's just that I like my ass narrower rather than wider....HELLO!


Next year all of those delicious cookies my next door neighbors send over in those beautiful tins are going in the freezer. I am going to divvy them out in small portions that guarantee we still get to enjoy them but don't feel the pressure of cookies gone stale. Man, they are really good cookies too. I figured out a few years ago what makes them so delicious. It's love. I can buy the same cookie at the food store and somehow, they never taste quite the same. It's the love. that is why we all feel so compelled to eat whatever is offered isn't it? Because we all know the heart and love that goes into preparing and then serving, or packaging all of those delicious morsels and meals. It's the love.




So, this year I am not going to panic over the few pounds gained. I am going to look in the mirror at those tighter jeans and know that it's all love. Then, I am going to RUN to the gym. Damn all that love.


Ofcourse, I won't be running to the gym until AFTER New Years. Martini's and Mojitos at Mr and Mrs Bigun's . On January 3rd, yeah, that's it. January 3rd.


I wouldn't change a thing- except maybe my jean size.

No comments: