Sunday, April 15, 2007

Irony


Cut to "Hard Rain" starring Christian Slater, Morgan Freeman, Minnie Driver and Randy Quaid. Got it? Great movie. It's playing on TNT right now.
Now, transition back to 4:30 am this morning. It's drizzling out. It has obviously rained. The weather channel is showing a harsh wall of rain making it's way steadily towards Orlando. Predicted winds up to 35 mph with gusts up to 50 mph. Are you seeing the irony yet? Bigun has his first race of the season this morning in Clermont. Clermont lies between us and Orlando. Smack dab in the middle of the Hard Rain.

Being the kind, considerate guy he is, Bigun didn't bother to wake me until he was ready to leave this morning. I jumped up to see the weather report. He was right. I wouldn't be able to cheer him on. Not in that sort of weather. I kissed him goodbye and went back to bed. My warm, cozy, comfortable bed. I pulled the blankets up and was asleep with the sound of Bigun's truck pulling out of the driveway.

Don't get me wrong. I was looking forward to shaking the pom poms and ringing the cowbells for him. Really. I was. Really. I swear. Here's the thing - standing in the rain, waving soggy pom poms isn't my idea of fun.
Instead, I am watching "Hard Rain" on TV and cracking up at Brisco,the cat (who believes he's a dog). He's got these little white "mice" toys. He's just discovered that they are full of cat nip. There's 5 of them, one of him. It's like watching a popcorn machine at the movie theatre. Little white mice jumping up into the air and dropping down all around him. He doesn't know which one to go for next. Cheap entertainment. Doesn't get much better than this.

If Sommer Sports didn't cancel the race this morning - Bigun is competing in sideways rain and high winds. Sans Cowbells. While I watch Brisco drool all over his little mice. Mice covered with white rabbit fur and filled with yummy, yummy, get me high, catnip. Have you ever seen a cat with "the Munchies"? That's the phase he'll be entering momentarily. After he thinks he's satiated the munchies he's going to roll over on his back, his eyes will roll back in his head and he'll pass out. Wait. Commercial about cat litter. There must be 20 cats in the commercial. He's pouncing up trying to "jump" the cats on the screen!!! WTF He's never even noticed the TV before. He must have been sucked in by the meowing. He thoroughly believes he is a dog. No doubt that right now, he's suffering from the delusion of being a big black Lab. Commercial is over. "Hey! Where the hell did all of those cats go!?!?!?" ROTFLMAO "I'm hungry." he's meandering over to the food bowl. I hope he can jump up the 4 feet needed to get to the bowl. He's looking at me like I should get up and get the bowl for him!! Oh, right. That's gonna happen. Now - he's all over me. Licking my face. Nope, that's not gonna work either. I like it just fine right here. Go pass out would ya?

Back to Bigun. I hope he's doing okay out there. I can't imagine they would run a race in the conditions the storm brought. Then again, you know how men are. They'll do it just to prove they have a bigger...um...I mean to prove that no storm is big enough or bad enough to shut down a Triathlete. After all, they ARE "endurance" athletes aren't they? Does that make me a "fair weather fan"? If so, it's okay. I can live with it.
I'll just sit and finish watching "Hard Rain".

"Rain, rain on my face. Hasn't stopped raining for days...Lift me up, when I'm falling...Lift me up..." song is FLOOD - By Jars Of Clay -LOVE that song.

3 comments:

Oly said...

My wife and two girls stood in the rain for twelve hours during my IM Wisconsin debacle. I love them for it but I would never want them to do it again and I feel bad to this day that they did.

Tri-Dummy said...

Bigun kicked butt and you could tell from his post...he missed having you there.

I will be missing Mama Dummy at my B race..the Big Olathe Half Iron.

I will have my Iron Sherpa, Blink, to kick it with, so I'll be set.

Di said...

I really missed being there too. I think next time, weather won't be an issue. I stressed all day over not knowing where he was in the race, how he was doing, if he was holding up in the crappy weather. I have never missed one of his races and it bothers me greatly that I missed this one. he's so sweet about it though.