Sunday, April 1, 2007

Kayak Trip at Sunset






Well. Here we are Sunday morning. And I feel great. Bigun and myself went out onto the water last night in kayaks for a little Sunset show. Nature is amazing. Truly, it is. Bigun and I live on a very modest sized lake. Up north, we would have called it a pond. But, we live in Florida and so, it is a lake. It's about 13 acres so it's not tiny by any sense. But it is.










I grew up believing that the Finger Lakes were relatively small in comparison to other lakes. The Finger Lakes, not small. Seneca Lake for example, holds the largest volume of water of all of the Finger Lakes. One of my sisters was born in Geneva, NY at the northern tip of the lake. We lived somewhere near the middle in Romulus and we were regulars at the Glen. Watkins Glen that is ( for those of you who follow Racing).
Watkins sits at the southern most tip of the lake. If you took a boat from Geneva to Watkins it would be a 38 mile ride. By car, well, it's a lot more. The lake is 3 miles wide, so you could see how beautiful it is on the shore opposite of wherever you happened to be. A little known fact is that not only does Seneca Lake support Land Locked Atlantic salmon but it also produces wine that many of us enjoy on a regular basis. Seneca Lake alone supports 52 wineries. 52. Can you believe it? That's not counting the wineries supported by the other 3 lakes. 94 wineries all tolled. Those of you who have never been to upstate NY for the wineries, you are missing out my friends. There is nothing like it. It's pristine, beautiful country. Still.





Sorry, I am full of all kinds of bits of trivia and such.Often times, I get distracted by it.
I digress. This post is about our Kayak trip last night on the Gulf. It was so beautiful out there. The wildlife was scattered all around us. We were able to glimpse a dolphin herding mullet out of the inlet into the school of dolphins waiting somewhere beyond our visual line. The birds ofcourse were abundant. We saw an Osprey diving and actually catch a fish for his evening meal. We went out to a little island to pause for a few minutes and enjoy cheese and crackers with a little Sparkling Grape Juice. Okay, I brought a six pack but the Tour Guides don't advocate drinking on these trips.




Our Guides, Dennis and Diane Peters, were incredibly nice and so very personable. They are living their dream. Kayaking daily and sharing their love of the water with anyone willing to ask. Diane was a plethora of information. She was telling us about the different varieties of birds and their habits etc. I love that sort of stuff. It's banked away now in my UBK (that would be Useless Bank Of Knowledge) in other words, my brain. Yes folks, I am full of it. In more ways than one as Bigun likes to remind me. Full of it. Just what "it" is has yet to be determined.




Kayaking on the Gulf is definitely something I would enjoy doing as often as possible. The couple who own Simply Kayaking offer you a great deal. Purchase your Kayak through them and you can tour with them whenever you like, at no charge. They really are a great couple.
Speaking of great couples, Linda and Curt, the couple who invited us on this trip, are great. I could go into another entire post about Linda and myself....can you hear the twilight zone music playing hauntingly in the background? Oh yeah. It's truly a bizarre story. Like I said, it's a post entirely on it's own. Hell, probably 5 or 6 posts. LOL






In the mean time, enjoy the view......




2 comments:

Fe-lady said...

Thanks for posting about your trip and the beautiful pictures! Makes me want to be paddling on some water somewhere! (Hard to find here!)

momo said...

wow! what a blast, di! the pictures are amazing - i love how the sun makes everything look all rosy. very cool!