Thursday, April 5, 2007

Rose colored Sun Glasses

My sister is coming into town this weekend for an extended 5 1/2 day weekend. Actually, I suppose it's more like a shortened week. She hasn't taken a vacation in eons. Never by herself without her 16 year old son. She's a single mom. Her husband disappeared. Literally. Disappeared. He doesn't want to be found. He's never paid a penny of child support and has never seen his son's face since he was a newborn. My sister has never complained about her situation and she has never expected a hand out. I am so proud of her. She has raised a son all on her own and managed through thick and thin with her head up.
Back to her vacation. I hope I can show my sister a great vacation. She's quite different from me in many respects and quite like me in others. She is a planner. A detailed planner. ( all I ever plan on is when to get out of bed for the next day) Checks the weather here in Florida, for example, all week long. Everyday before she gets on the plane on Friday morning. Me. Well, lets just say, I expect everyday to be sunshine. Rose colored sun glasses are permanently attached to my head in a way. My sis told me today that it was going to be chilly while she was here. Huh? What do you mean chilly? It's never chilly in Florida. In April. She MUST be watching the wrong Tampa Weather report. I'm certain. Absolutely, warm and sunny. That's what I have willed for the weather. By Crikey, it will be. Atleast for a few hours... right?
See, here's my dilemma. I want to show her a rippin' good time. She doesn't like rollercoasters. I do. She doesn't like boating. I do. she doesn't like drinking. Oh boy do I ever. She's not a big swimmer. She's a brainiac kind of girl. I'm an ESPN OCHO kind of girl. So, I'm not really sure how to make sure she has a good time. Geez, I live in Florida so that I can go on vacation with everyone who comes here for their vacation. How'd this one slip through the cracks?

My idea of what is a great time is totally different from hers. I think what's going to happen is my built in bookcases will see completion. The leftover painting may be completed. My various "chores" around the house can see the light at the end of an extremely long tunnel. I sort of feel guilty about making her help me with chores on her vacation. Isn't she on vacation to get away from that sort of crap? She said that's what she wants to do though. She's really different from me now that I give it serious thought. I can't think of how we are alike in Any way. Can't wait for her to get here. I am taking a few days off of work to do house work. How'd that happen? IDMTFFT! Damn. She's smart. Told you, brainiac. I'm supposed to be the older one. When did we switch roles? I'm making her go to the beach tomorrow when we leave the airport. It will be warm. It will be sunny. Me and my rose colored sun glasses have decided.

3 comments:

Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Well now I'm convinced more than ever that we were separated at birth. Myles frequently refers to what he calls my, "unrealistic optimism." To make matters worse, things always DO work out Yes, the sun will shine, and I will reach the finish line...even though I soaked in a tub and drank pina coladas instead of training...

Comm's said...

My two cents is you both go get a massage and spa day together. Go to a big shot resort. Yeah its $125 bucks for a one hour massage but stick around for the jaccuzi, spa and sauna. Or get the mani-pedi-facial.

Di said...

I Like the way Comm thinks! That sounds like a great way to spend my day in my rose colored Sunglasses. BTW GG- it's beautiful and sunny today!! You are absolutely right - things always work out, in spite of that Pina Colada lol